Apex specializes in the following according to NEMA Curriculum:
- Environmental Impact Assessment training
- Environmental Audit training
We are offering an online EIA/EA course starting on 20th February 2017 (see registration details below).
In accordance with various statutory and regulatory requirements Apex is registered with;
- NEMA (Reg No.2633) as Firm of Experts
- EIK (Reg No. 2633) as Firm of Experts
- NITA for Quality Management Systems and Environmental Management
Our consultants are also individually registered as EIA/EA experts
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Environmental Audit (EA)?
According to NEMA, Environmental Impact Assessment is a systematic and critical examination of the effects of a project on the environment and making the information collected from the examination available for decision making by the National Environment Management Authority, which is the designated Environmental Management and regulatory agency in Kenya.
According to EMCA 1999, Environmental Audit means the systematic, documented, periodic and objective evaluation of how well an organization is performing with reference to environment.
EIA and EA is done as stipulated in the EMCA 1999 and EIA & EA Regulations of 2003.
How will I benefit from this course?
After successful completion of this online course students will receive a certificate in EIA/EA whose benefits include;
- Acquiring the qualification required by National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) for registration as an EIA/EA Expert.
- Acquiring the qualification required by Environment Institute of Kenya (EIK) for registration as an EIA/EA Expert.
- Becoming an Environmental Impact Assessor and Environmental Auditor recognized by the National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) and Environment Institute of Kenya (EIK); able to practice in Kenya and all over Africa.
- Pursuing Environmental Management consultancy.
- Becoming a good steward of sustainable development.
- Increasing in awareness of environmental matters both locally and globally
- Becoming more marketable in respective fields
- Helping organizations to take due environmental considerations when planning.
What are the requirements for this course?
For one to be considered for the Environmental Impact Assessment and the Environmental Audit course, one needs to have at least a Bachelors degree in any field.
What is the cost of the course?
The total fee of the online EIA/EA course is ksh.60,000.
What is the duration of the course?
The trainees will undertake18 days online training covering Modules 1-5 while Module 6 will be undertaken for 5 days at Apex which includes recaps for Module 1-5, EIA/EA case studies, practical’s and exam.
What are the Curriculum Details?
Students will be taken through a comprehensive 6-Module Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Audit training package based on NEMA Curriculum. The six modules and topics include;
Module 1: Introduction and Requirements for EIA
· Topic 1.1: Introduction to EIA/EA
· Topic 1.2: Policy, Legal and Administrative framework for EIA/EA in Kenya
· Topic 1.3: Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) and EIA
· Topic 1.4: Stakeholder and Public Participation in EIA/EA
Module 2: Environment Management Tools
· Topic 2:1 Environmental Economics
· Topic 2.2: Environmental Management Systems Standards
· Topic 2.3: Environmental Information Systems for EIA/EA
Module3: Methods and Types of Assessments
· Topic 3.1: EIA Methods
· Topic 3.2: Environmental Auditing
· Topic 3.3: Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)
· Topic 3.4: Social Impact Assessment (SIA)
Module 4: Project Impacts and Mitigation
· Topic 4.1: Industrial Ecology
· Topic 4.2: Occupational Health and Safety Management
· Topic 4.3: Mainstreaming EIA/EA in organizations
Module 5: EIA reporting
· Topic 5.1: Structure and Format of EIA Report
· Topic 5.2: Environmental Management Plan (EMP)
· Topic 5.3: EIA Report Review and Decision Making
· Topic 5.4 EIA & EA Project Cycle Management and Processes
Module 6: Case Studies, Practical’s
· Topic 6.1: EIA Case studies
· Topic 6.2: EA Case studies
· Topic 6.3 Site Visits and Practicals